Few things say “fall” quite like warm, spiced beverages. One of my personal favorites, and one I often serve when I entertain, is Spiced Cider. It’s a crowd- pleaser, and you can make and serve it right from your slow cooker. It makes the perfect addition to any holiday gathering!
- 1 Gallon – Fresh Pressed Apple Cider
- 5 Cinnamon Sticks
- Palm full of whole cloves (approximately 30-35 individual cloves)
- 5 Ounces – Bourbon or Dark Rum (optional)
- 1 Orange (sliced)
- Pour cider in to slow cooker.
- Add cinnamon sticks.
- Put cloves in tea infuser or bundle in cheese cloth and add to slow cooker.
- Add alcohol, if desired.
- Turn slow cooker to “high” for approximately two hours, or three to four hours on “low.”
- Slice oranges and add toward end of desired simmer time.
If you’d like you could garnish each mug with an orange slice or a cinnamon stick.
Quick tip: Clove has an assertive taste. Sample cider at about the halfway point to see if the clove should remain for the rest of the time. Of course, that all depends on your personal taste.